Local Kenyans in this Community
Individual leaders around the world and groups supporting Sasa Harambee are invaluable to our success. And still it is important to recognize that this organization is guided most directly from the on-the-ground local Kenyans for whom this organization was founded. That truth is what makes Sasa Harambee effective.
George Oyeho, Kenya Project Director
George Oyeho is a native of Uluthe, Kenya. He is a citizen of both Kenya and the United States.
George teaches university level Business Policy, Strategy, Logistics Marketing, and Project Management. Enrolled in a PhD program at Catholic University of East Africa, his thesis area is in self-governance at the rural level in Kenya. He is a consultant and an active, community organizer.
George plays many roles in the Sasa Harambee project:
- He is the primary Kenyan Rotarian and directs and administers projects funded by Rotary International. ($160,000 to date).
- He is the host for all activities of the project.
- He directs building projects such as the school, clinic, and the protection of community springs.
- Working side by side with Carol Carper, George assists the community in identifying needs and solutions to community challenges.
- He leads visioning and planning activities in many different sectors of the program.
- George is the primary representative of the program with the local and county governments.
Carol Carper, Sasa Harambee USA Chair
Carol is the co-founder of Sasa Harambee. Her role straddles many continents, deftly bringing people together under a shared vision to create the positive, proactive changes witnessed in these Kenyan communities. Some of her specific roles include:
- Community organizer
- Visionary: creating new programs & approaches based on community input and observation
- Supervises on-the-ground staff
- Evaluates and monitors effectiveness of programs and leaders
- Works with George on strategic planning
- Identifies resources in Kenya and America
- Lives in Kenya 4-6 months a year
Board of Directors
Sasa Harambee's Board of Directors is comprised of highly accomplished and committed individuals. Their primary role is to ensure the mission and vision of this organization are kept true. Sasa Harambee, however, is guided most directly from the on-the-ground local Kenyans for whom this organization was founded.